Future for this project?

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Hi Geoffrey & R., thanks for sharing the benefit of your hard work with all of us.

I'd like to understand where this project may go in the future - what are your intentions for future development (if any) for this project?  I've been amassing links to the various FxCop-custom-rules projects on the OWASP wiki, and it would help if we could provide more details around:
  1.  Other custom rules you are planning to implement
  2. Whether you're planning to invite and include contributions from other FxCop custom rules developers
  3.  How your project is unique compared with the other projects making available their FxCop custom rules.
This isn't meant to criticize your project - in fact, I'm strongly encouraging it.  At the same time, there are enough separate open-source projects for custom rules that it's non-trivial for anyone considering investing time and effort in either (a) reading and enhancing the code or (b) contributing their own custom rules.  I'm posting the same request at the other projects as well, to understand their intentions as well.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM
Hi Mike,

This project is intended to produce community involvement in developing custom FxCop rules. Anyone is welcome to join the project to contribute their own rules. This aligns with one of the intentions of the project which was to promote FxCop in the community and broaden the availability of rules. Perhaps this alone is what makes it unique compared to the other FxCop projects. I won't add other people’s rules to this project as I believe people should provide their own contributions. This project is not aiming to compete with other related projects.

Geoffrey has come onboard the project and has added some excellent contributions, especially with the unit testing support. My own lack of input to the project of late is due to many other side projects that I am working on. I still intend on contributing to this project and adding to its set of rules.

There is no specific plan for what rules will be added to the project. Rules are developed by the contributors as they see fit. I would expect that anyone can comment on the rules developed to encourage the contributors in their learning of both FxCop and good coding practices.

Cheers,

Rory